Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Button, button, who's got the button?

Hi - Jim here this time. I haven't really had much to say over the past week - every day's pretty much the same. Although last Monday, I really started feeling the effects of the radiation on my throat - it seemed to really tighten up. What bothered me was, I wasn't even one-third of the way done yet and I wasn't supposed to feel the effects until after 2 weeks. So I began thinking, "if I'm feeling it THIS early, what's it going to be like toward the end? Will I be able to eat or talk?" But as the week went on, it didn't seem to get any worse, so I got kinda used to it. The weekend recovery period was a good rest and I was ready for Monday.

However, my throat tightened up after yesterday's treatment. I was experiencing throat pain and tightness again. It was difficult to talk, so I decided it was time to try some of my pain medication. That seemed to ease the pain and loosen the throat, as I expected. So last night, I was feeling pretty confident again.

Then we come to today... For the first time, I took pain medication before going to treatment and that made everything feel much better afterward. I felt so good, in fact, that I thought I'd go out and mow the front lawn. As I started to change to work jeans, a part that was sewed on to me fell off! My feeding tube has an opaque plastic disc covering the insertion point on my stomach. Underneath this disc, there are two "buttons" opposite each other that appear to be sewn into my skin. Well, one of them fell out. Now I have a small hole there. Oops.

I don't know what these buttons do, and no matter how many people we called, they couldn't answer the question either. But I do have an appointment at 9am tomorrow with the doctor that buttoned me up. I'm sure she'll explain everything. Stay tuned. I gotta get back to the women's final game.

No comments:

Post a Comment